Safe Walking Routes
The intent of a safe walk route plan is not to identify every school access route or to identify the more convenient school access routes; it is to identify the safer school access routes. Care has been taken to consult with local law enforcement, school PTA and School Community Council representatives, and the District’s traffic safety committee in establishing these school access routes. Despite broad consultation and unanimous agreement from all parties involved in establishing this plan, no one, including the Nebo School District and Springville Jr. High School can guarantee that the agreed upon school access routes are or will ever be completely free from hazards.
Parents are encouraged to walk or bike the school access routes with their child/children, to address specific concerns they may have, and to instruct their child/children to obey the laws and rules pertaining to pedestrian safety. If a parent feels their child/children should use a school access route that is not identified in this plan, it is a parent’s prerogative.
As previously stated, the intent of a safe walk route plan is not to identify every school access route or to identity the more convenient school access routes. For this plan, school access routes leading to the school from areas where clusters of students live, have been identified and are described below.
The following provides general walking directions to Springville Junior High located at 189 South 1470 East in Springville, Utah:
- (Red) Students that live south of 400 South and west of Springville High school should follow side streets, using the sidewalks, to 400 South. 200 East is a good funnel street to get to 400 South for those on the west end of section one. Following 900 South and crossing onto 800 East at the four-way stop then following 800 East until it becomes Brookside Drive is another route to funnel into 400 South. Students should precede east on 400 South and Canyon Road. Canyon Road should be carefully crossed using the provided crosswalks to 1470 East, turning north into the school grounds.
- (Blue) Students that live south of Canyon Road and east of Springville High School should follow the side streets, using the provided sidewalks to 1350 East or 1700 East. To get to 1350 East, students should funnel into 1000 South and then to 1200 East to the High School. Use the crosswalk in front of the high school to get to the north side of the street and proceed east to 1350 East. Students should use the sidewalks on the west side of 1350 East to Canyon Road. Using the crosswalk, students should cross Canyon Road to Houtz Avenue. Students should proceed east on Houtz Avenue to 1470 East turning north into the school grounds. From 1700 East students will carefully cross canyon road onto Houtz Ave and proceed north until 1470 East turning right onto 1470 East until they reach the school.
- (Purple) Students that live north of Center Street should follow side roads, using the provided sidewalks, to Center Street. 200 West, 200 East, 400 East, 700 East, and 900 East have been designated streets to funnel onto Center Street. Students should proceed east on Center Street and carefully cross 1300 East at the crosswalk and continue to 1470 East turning south into the school grounds.
- (Brown) Students that live south of 200 South and north of 400 South should proceed to 400 South using the provided sidewalks. Students should follow 400 South to Canyon Road crossing Canyon Road using the provided crosswalks to 1470 East turning north into the school grounds.
- (River Green) Students that live south of Center Street and north of 200 South should proceed to Center Street, proceed east on Center Street and carefully cross 1300 East at the crosswalk and continue to 1470 East turning south in the school grounds.
- (Forest Green) Students that live east of 1700 East should proceed to 1700 East, crossing at the provided crosswalk, to approximately 200 South and enter the back gate of the school grounds.
- (Yellow) Students that live west of Springville Jr. High, between Center St. and 400 South, and west of 800 East should proceed being careful to cross 1300 East to 200 South and enter the school grounds from 200 South.